I have wanted to read the book of Romans all the way through for some time now. I was reminded of this desire when someone (I don’t remember who) mentioned that Romans is a letter from Paul to other Christians in Rome. When I receive a letter, I read the whole thing through the moment I get it. I don’t read half of it, put it down and pick it up later. It is far to exciting to stop reading it half-way through. It is the same concept with scripture. Many of the New Testament books were sent as letters, all in one compilation. So, it is a good idea, at some point, to read the entire letter in one sitting.
I decided today would be a good day to do this since I was home earlier than normal. I haven’t been feeling that well these last couple of days. It started out as a sore throat, but has now moved to nasal congestion, ear aches, and a periodic headache. Don’t get me wrong, I prayed last night that it would move from my throat to my nose so that I could speak to my students! And so, it is starting to work its way out. It hasn’t been terrible, just a nuisance. Anyways, I came home early, and decided to use the time in a good way: to study my Bible. It is always something I have put off, but I knew that at some point I just needed to sit down and do it.
As I was reading I was again struck by how nicely the chapters all flow together. I decided to keep notes on things that stuck to me, and of course, many things did. So, I am going to share my newest insights on Romans with you.
In chapter 6 Paul talks about sin not being our master, but that we would find ourselves free in God’s grace. It then states that we are slaves to what we obey. When we are slaves to obedience (to God) we receive life, but when we are slaves to our sin, we receive death. What I was struck by is that in both options we are slaves! Being a slave is hard work. Why would we even consider the reward of death when we have the option of life? Well, yes, death can be masked by many things in our lives that look attractive and that the world tells us we need. But in the end, all we truly desire is life. How awesome that Jesus can provide this option to us! When we obey our father in heaven, and turn to him, we are released from the slavery that sin holds over us. And when we accept this, we no longer live as slaves, but as servants who desire to please our master.
The other thing that stuck in my mind is the concept of redemption. We are talking about the Creation, Fall, Redemption, and Fulfillment concept in our Humanities class, and applying these ideas to our role as God’s children on earth. In one of my power points I found the picture the valley where man is on one side and God is on the other. As I read through Romans 8 (my favourite chapter of the Bible) I was reminded of this picture. It says in scripture that nothing can separate us from God. Not death, trouble, hardship, persecution, worry, height, depth, and anything you can imagine. I imagined all of these things hanging out in that valley between us and God. They are sitting there, waiting to jump on us. Then I thought of Jesus, our redeemer. The cross provides a path from one side to the other, stopping all of those things that try to separate us from God. I also couldn’t help but imagine Jesus calling me into a protective bubble that would provide a safe zone that nothing can penetrate; a zone that is filled with love, forgiveness and strength. I am so grateful to have a God that continues to remind me of his faithfulness and presence in my life.
Can I get an Amen?
Loved you explanation...it reminded me of a book I'm reading right now .."Left To Tell" by Immanence Ilibagiza....it tells how discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust brought this girl through all the TERRIBLE things that happened.
ReplyDeleteGreat to read your testimony and experiences
Amen:
ReplyDeleteWow,loved reading about your discoveries in God's word and in your life. I will also have to re-read Romans in one sitting. Hope I don't have to get sick like you to do it. Sure hope you are feeling better. Is it a little bit of getting used to the climate maybe also?? Will you be able to go to School tomorrow?? Hope you get over it quickly. Love Mom
amen!
ReplyDelete