Saturday, August 7, 2010

Let the rain come down...

Yesterday I experienced the biggest rainstorm in my life. It was Friday, and I was so excited to go with a bunch of people to a nice restaurant in Jakarta. As soon as I got home from school I threw my uniform in the laundry and hauled out some cute clothes for the evening. I took some extra time to fix my make-up and match my accessories. I was all ready just a little ahead of schedule, so I decided to chill for a few minutes before jumping on an ojek to meet up with the group. It was at that moment I heard the terrible sound. Drip...drip. Oh no...it can't be! I jumped up from the couch and looked out the window to find the pavement getting wet. I jumped into my heels, grabbed my bag and ran out the door. As I ran down the street towards the ojek drivers I could feel the rain was coming down harder. I called for an ojek and the guys looked at me like I was crazy. I now understand why they thought i was crazy. You see, I knew it was raining, but I figured I could beat the real downpour. One of the ojek guys could tell I wasn't joking so I hopped on his bike. About one minute into the ride I looked at my legs and the rain around and realized that it was too late, I was not going to arrive in the partially wet state I thought I was. The sky darkened, and released torrents of rain into the crazy wind. The driver dropped me off earlier than I thought. So there I was walking along the road, completely soaked and trying not to twist my ankle in my heels. What was I thinking? Heels? I did all I could to keep my feet in the slippery pleather straps. As I walked up to the gate of the meeting place (amartapura apartments)I was welcomed by a resounding "oh, miss!" from the guards. For some reason I couldn't help but smile. I looked like a wet rat with make-up running down my face. I kept walking until I reached the building and stepped out of the rain. The only part of me that was not wet was the front of my shirt because my arms, purse, and rain jacket had managed to keep parts of it dry. My jeans however, were completely wet and dripping. So much for dressing up on Friday night.

I was happy to find the other members of my group and jump into the car. Thankfully, I had called Becky when I got to the apartments and she was able to bring and extra jacket for me to keep warm. I enjoyed a 3 hour, air-conditioned car ride to Jakarta (which is usually about an hour)and had a lovely time with a group of about 20 SPHers. Let's just say that I was happy to see my bed when I came home at 1:00am. Oh ya, and the tenderloin steak and hot chocolate at the restaurant were a delight after such a crazy journey to eat out!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, loved the adventure. I can imagine you totally soaked and how you weren't shivering on the 3 hour air conditioned car ride. Great to have friends in your new place. Have a great weekend and talk to you soon. Love MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michaela, sounds like quite the adventure! I am having my first experience with Abbotsford rain right now, so I could relate to your story (only slightly...).

    ReplyDelete