This week Friday was Athletics Day in the Senior school. Instead of having class, all of the students took part in Track and Field events. When a new student comes to SPH they are assigned to a house team. There are 4 different teams Kintamai (RED), Krakatua (YELLOW), Marapi (GREEN), and Bromo (BLUE). Each of these names are actually named after volcanoes here in Indonesia. The purpose of the teams is build school spirit and healthy competition among the student and staff body. I was assigned to Bromo when I arrived, which I like because I love blue.
All the students and teachers came to school on Friday decked out in their house team colors. The students had face paint, colored banners, hairspray and fun colored accents. I actually bought a Bromo wrist band to support my team. Although the teachers dressed up, we were all assigned jobs in different events while the students went around to participate. I was assigned to help out with the sprints. I was busy all day: writing down who was first, second, and third for every running event. I did find some time to pick up a delicious burger and frozen yogurt from the food area though.
Thankfully, the rain held out all day and we were able to keep things running on time. The last event was the teacher/parent 50X4 relay. I ran for my team. I was excited to run a race because it has been a while. Unfortunately, I did not warm up well enough and I ended up pulling a muscle in my right quad. It was incredibly painful and I was limping for a few days. It is still a little swollen now, but I am able to walk normally which is nice. I guess I learned my lesson; although, I did stretch a lot before I ran. It must have just been a bad start.
The day actually ended with period 7. I was not too excited about teaching after such a long day in the sun and noise. I made my 8th graders do a little bit of work because they have not been on the best behavior this past week; however, we ended the day watching some ridiculous videos from YouTube. All in all, it was a pretty fun day and a great way to end the week.
Now I am going to have a few crazy days of writing mid-term reports! Eek! Not fun, but necessary I suppose. I am often amazed at how quickly time passes. Before you know it, next weekend will be here and I will have more news to share.
Great pictures and write up of your special day. Hope you got all your reports done up. We had a nice Thanksgiving dinner yesterday with 14 of us. It had been a while since we had turkey and mashed potatoes and gravy so it was yummy. Oops, sorry if I have made your mouth water and homesick. Oh well, soon you will be able to enjoy turkey dinner with all of us at Christmas.
ReplyDeleteWe are looking forward to that time. Have a great week, love Mom