Monday, April 16, 2012

Sri Lanka- A Hidden Gem




It always amazes me how quickly I can go in and out of work mode. It is almost like there is a ‘work Michaela’ and a ‘vacation Michaela,’ the later apparently being more prone to one-liners and non-stop laughter. Boy, I love vacation mode! But, it is also great to get back to work and really cherish the last few months I have with my students.

I have decided to include highlights of my recent Spring/Easter vacation in Sri Lanka. I will say that Sri Lanka is a hidden Gem!! It is similar to India, but more developed, very clean, friendly people and tons to offer. I had a fabulous time there and I wish I had at least another week. I recommend it to anyone who is thinking of traveling in Asia!

• Watching 50 elephants of all sizes bathe in a river
• Learning about elephant poo paper and buying some
• Visiting Polonnaruwa, an ancient city and exploring the temples, baths, and other ruins there
• Climbing Lion Rock, a rock outcropping with ruins of an ancient palace and gardens, and fresco paintings. Amazing views and crazy climb up!
• Awesome food: curries, dhals, fish, eggplant…couldn’t get enough!
• Random animals: elephants, monitor lizards, turtles,
• Kandy: markets, cultural dancing and fire walking. Beautiful atmosphere in the mountains
• Steep mountain roads lined with tons of tea plantations
• Adams peak: 2am start for a sun-rise summit. The path was lit-up and there were tea shops every 50metres or so along the entire pathway. Seeing the mountains pyramid shaped shadow and ringing the bell as a part of successfully summiting was great. The descent was interesting because we were seeing everything for the first time in day-light.
• Tea factory visit and tea-tasting. Bought lots of fair-priced quality tea!
• Beautiful mountain town (forget name) with a lovely lake, horses all over and cute houses.
• Ella Gap: a beautiful valley leading us back toward the sea
• Yala National park. Didn’t see leopards, but thoroughly enjoyed our cozy hotel on a pristine lake.
• Mirissa: gorgeous, low-key beaches with turquoise water, palm trees and soft sand. Watched baby sea turtles being set free. Fire dancing and a full moon. Stilt fisher-men and us pretending to be the fisher men at sunset.
• Galle: Dutch fort, lovely colonial architecture and artwork!
• Colombo: Beautiful, clean and well-organized city. Bought last minute souvenirs and a huge painting. Set out to find Naan bread and confused the shop owner when we wanted it plain.
• Tea, biscuit and game time with the gang most nights.
• Perera, our driver from Lanka tours, was excellent and eventually figured out that we are just a bunch of crazy teachers!
• Many laughs with friends, 2 books finished, lots of time to sleep, a tan and I am re-charged to teach until the end!!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome stuff Chae:
    So fun to read and take it all in. You are so lucky you get to see so much of that part of the world. Good for you to take it all in while you can.

    ReplyDelete